Wednesday, July 17, 2013

You look like a...

So here's a story I've been needing to write down for a while.

At the end of the school year, David wasn't feeling well and asked me to get him some Sudafed.  So, I was out with the kids and stopped in at United to get a few groceries and his medicine.   We go up to the pharmacy to fill out the ridiculous paperwork for Sudafed and I notice this woman sitting on the bench by the pharmacy talking on her phone.  Now, I haven't had many experiences where Emery has said embarrassing things to people but you just never know what a 3-year-old is going to say.  I notice that this woman is missing some teeth and her two front teeth are rather long and stick out some.  I say a little prayer to myself that Emery doesn't notice.  Wishful thinking.  We go up to the counter.  Of course, Luke is annoyed with being in the cart so I'm holding him and talking to David on the phone who is instructing on which Sudafed he needs.  I'm trying to talk to the pharmacist and filling out the paperwork for the stupid medicine when I notice Emery is no longer standing by me.  That's right, she's walked over to the nice lady who is minding her own business, talking on the phone.  Then I see her arm go up and her finger pointing up high toward the woman's face.   Then my stomach drops as I hear her say in her cute high pitched voice, "Yooouuu look like a raaaaaaaabbit."  She likes to draw her words out really long sometimes when she talks.  Well, I call her back over to me and finish up with the pharmacist.  I quickly walk by the woman who is still on her phone and give her an embarrassed smile and apologize.  I was mortified.  We check out and go out to the car.  On the way home, we had this conversation.

Me:  Hey, Emery, do remember what you said to that lady in the store?
Emery:  Huh?
Me:  Remember how you told that lady that she looked like a rabbit?
Emery:  Oh yeah!
Me:  Do you think that's a good thing or a bad thing?
Emery:  Good thing!!
Me:  Do you think she likes looking like a rabbit?
Emery:  Yeah!!!!
Me:  Okay, from now on, we don't tell anyone they look like any animal.  Deal?
Emery:  Okay, mommy.

Oh my goodness.  So funny now, but I really hope she didn't hurt that woman's feelings.  I'm sure she did, but hopefully the fact that it came from a 3-year-old makes it hurt a little less...










2 comments:

Gigi said...

Oh, my! :)

Snuzi said...

tears in my eyes I'm laughing so hard!!!! "RAAAAAABIT"!!!!!!!!! That's the best.