Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Dear Cancer

A friend of mine posted a letter to cancer a couple days ago. Well, I say she's a friend even though we haven't met yet - I know we will be dear friends as our babies both have been diagnosed with Neuroblastoma. It will be so nice to have another mama to talk to about what our babies are experiencing. I have already enjoyed getting to encourage her as she and her family are just starting their journey. Emery's story is precious to us and it makes us so happy getting to share it with others.

So, anyway, here's my letter to cancer and a few pictures to show just how far our little miracle has come. Go here to write your own letter to raise money for the American Cancer Society.

Dear Cancer,
You tried to take by baby girl when she was only a couple months old. She was so tiny, so fragile. You made my baby roll over for the first time in a hospital. You made my baby girl need occupational therapy. And worst of all, you made my baby girl go through chemotherapy, blood/platelet transfusions, hund
reds of needle sticks, and scans I wish I didn't know about. You made our baby girl endure things in her first few months of life that I wouldn't wish on anyone. You scared us to death. Unfortunately for you, our daughter is a fighter. She made it through surgery and four rounds of chemo and handled it all beautifully. She is now a precious 16 month old little girl - perfect in every way. You lost. We won. Our God won. He is her healer, her protector and you will never reside in her perfect body again. Remember that.

Bonnie

Look at how far Emery has come... here she is the day after we arrived in Houston after her tumor biopsy surgery.

Daddy reading to Emery - Psalm 91 - "He who dwells in the secret place of the Most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. I will say to the Lord, He is my refuge and my fortress; My God, in Him I will trust."


Here's Emery and the best oncologist ever, Dr. Thompson. This was at her check-up this summer in Houston.
As you can see, cancer has not slowed her down. She is all over the place - keeping us plenty busy.

We love you little girl...

5 comments:

Snuzi said...

Precious! This brought me to tears. She is so beautiful.

Betty said...

Oh Bonnie! What a beautiful tribute! So glad, it's all over! Love you...Granny

Sarah Durham said...

You made me cry like a baby! I love you and that sweet girl so much! I am so proud of you sister! You are such a strong, Godly women I admire!

allyo said...

I should not have read this at school (at least it was on my conference, so I was bawling like a baby in front of 24 fourth graders). What a beautiful letter. Your strength is amazing. I love your baby girl, and I haven't even met her. With you as her mommy, how could there be anything not to love. God is so good. What a encouraging story to have to share.

Gigi said...

It's still such a shock to me that she had to endure all of this. Those days seem like such a weird dream now, thankfully. Not that I have forgotten any of it but she's just breezed past so much and taken life on with such a spirited personality. I love that sweet girl and her parents, and am so proud of the way you have handled everything. Cancer didn't know what it was up against. :)